Monday, August 29, 2011

Ultrafire C3 445nm laser

I bought this host from Tmart hoping that it would have a boost driver that could be used with our 445nm diodes. Unfortunately the driver only put out around 350mA.

So I got out my AK-007 boost driver from DX (these are older ones that are >1A, the new ones no longer output that much)

Firstly, I got myself a nice blank PCB.


Then I soldered some silicone wire leads onto it.


Then I grabbed my AK-007 driver. This was a two tier driver of which i removed the top PCB to make it 1 mode. There was also a resistor located right below that top capacitor. I removed it and bridged the gap. This driver now outputs 1.4A


Attach the AK-007 driver to the blank PCB


Attach output leads to the AK-007 driver.


These stupid LED stars are so hard to get out, so i just busted the LED off the star.


I put the AK-007 driver inside the pill and fed the output leads through the holes.


This is my 445nm diode inside a machined aluminum module. Pressing a diode into a zinc coated brass aixiz module can't work that good... (look up the thermal conductivity of zinc and brass)


Snatch up my pretty little heat sink I made for this host.


Put the module inside the heat sink....man, that module is starting to look rough.


Then I soldered the output leads onto the diode.


I also soldered the blank PCB in place so it can't fall out (solder at top)


Turning my fingers into C clamps, hold the heat sink and pill together, and spin the head. This will ensure the pill gets screwed in without spinning the heat sink and twisting up wires.


Screw the flashlight back together and you've got a tiny little beast of a laser.


Like a miniature Aurora C6, and just as strong!


My camera doesn't take very good beam shot. This is in a fully lit room.


Bedroom, fully lit


Bedroom, light off


No smoke or fog in either of these pictures.

No comments: