Monday, August 29, 2011

Ultrafire U-501B

I saw Qumefox put a green module in one of these a while back and really liked the look of the host. Then one day I was browsing a flashlight site HK Equipment(I think) and saw it so I ordered one up. This is another host that I ordered many months ago and just got around to building it.
Anyway this host has a really sold feel. It is heaver than I thought it would be. The host walls are pretty thick compared to a lot of hosts. The mass of aluminum in this host gives it great heat dispersion capabilities.
The look is pretty sweet. It has an aggressive stainless steel retaining ring on the top, has a large unique shaped head with intentions, fins around the mid section and the rubber grips that not only look good but add great functionality when trying to turn the unit on and off one handed.
This host was sent to Flaminpyro to be mated up with a heatsink. He did a great job with keeping the look of the host with the heatsink protruding slightly out the front. And the sink is like a suction cup going into the body. There is a lot of metal on metal surface area with this sink which really does a good job moving heat into the host body.
Also of note and a personal highlight for me he made a copper plate for the top of the pill to mount the flexdrives on. This makes it a pretty straight forward build a little tight but did not require further modifications to adequately sink the drivers.
I am going to run through the build guide as I have shown similar builds many times but I do want to hightlight the driver driver sink.

Allrigt so to run through this here is how the host breaks down. There is the host body, heatsink, head, tailcap and copper driver heatsink.
I like this one a lot. It has a uniquely aggressive look and great capability to disperse heat. I also would like to thank Jeff for the sweet job on the diode and driver heatsink.

No comments: