Monday, October 13, 2008

Novalasers Alpha 125 Baseline Laser Review.

Ok...
Here is my promised review of the Novalasers Alpha 125.

A while back, I decided that I was going to try and conduct a few more reviews of various lasers to try and help people make informed decisions about the products out there.

My first laser review turned into an absolute NIGHTMARE with my review of the Destructive gear Pyro 100.

I made a decision that any further reviews would require me to have a single Ref. laser to use as a baseline for comparison.

I contacted Novalasers, and informed them of my requirements.

I asked them for something special.
True TEM00 mode.
Good (Low) Divergence
Average and peak power to be High..but most important..these two numbers were to be as close together as possible.

Stability was the goal here!

I told them that I was willing to Wait as long as needed for a laser that met those specifications.

You may be asking me why I didn't simply buy a lab laser for stability.
2 reasons for not doing this.

First, I did not think that it was fair to compare a Labby to a portable.
I wanted to have a level playing field, and the one thing all portables have in common is that they have no constant power supply to keem them lasing!

I felt that how any individual laser handles the limited capaciity of their batteries was a factor that needed to be compared, when discussing Portables.

If I were planning on reviewing Labbys..I would have bought a good labby to compare them to.

Secondly...Since I was spending my own money...I wanted a Portable!.......



After many contacts with Nova..they finally told me that they had found the laser I had been waiting for.

135.8 average 138.6 peak with a very LOW divergence, and perfect TEM00 operation!

With this information in hand..I locked in the laser, and ordered it that day!

I again used TNT shipping...and can honestly say..that for 26 bucks..I have no idea how TNT can deliver a laser from Toronto Canada to Oklahoma City in 22 hours!

If tnt shipping is ever an option for you..Take it...Worth every penny!

When the laser arrived, the very first thing that hit me was how much larger the case of the Alpha was over the case for my X-105!

I knew the laser was bigger..but until I had the thing in my hand, I really had no idea how much larger this laser was!!!

Here are a few pictures comparing the size compared to my X-105

No comments: