Monday, October 13, 2008

SLD1239JL diode review from StoneTek

Greg was very kind enough to send me a few of his latest diodes and Aixiz modules to play around with.
After seeing Hemlock Mike's findings, I decided to be brave and push one of these to the limit.

I press fitted one of the diodes labeled with the code 'KJ' ( his current diodes) into the Aixiz module with the acrylic lens and opened up the aperture behind the lens with a sharp craft knife, to allow maximum radiation to be focused by the lens assembly.

Power to the diode is supplied to my precision 'Thanador' bench power supply unit (where I specify a maximum current limit and the diode takes whatever voltage it requires to reach that current). Ramp up and ramp down current is 'soft' and user control is coarse and fine.

I heard that Mike was running these diodes at 400mA CW!!! with no active cooling!! I bottled out slightly and set current limit to 385mA (comparable to an open can 20X).

Verdict:

385mA is way too much for the Aixiz housing to control heat, and duty cycle was about 40 secs on, 2 mins off to get some reliable power readings before the housing became very warm to the touch. I intent to knock up a big aluminium (aluminum to you yanks) heatsink tomorrow at work to do any durability testing. My Home made LPM registered 245mW at this current.

Part 2 of my review will be when I insert the module into one of my homebuilt heat sinks with active fan cooling. Let me tell you this, these diodes are like no other closed can I have ever played with. Focus on a freckle on your skin and it will smoke before you feel the pain. I kid you not!!!( I don't recommend to try focusing a quater of a watt of laser to a freckle) but if you are like me , you will try in the name of science !!).

First impressions of these diodes are outstanding but I will not comment more until I do some further testing with some decent cooling to determine how close they are to the limit with some durability runs.

Stay tuned.

Jase


SLD1239JL diode review from StoneTek

No comments: